Palmetto Citizens exists to provide more than financial services, we also look beyond our walls to our local community. This philosophy leads us to support worthwhile charitable and social causes.
Palmetto Citizens is proud to help many local charities, schools and other organizations in a variety of ways. Following are our efforts throughout the year 2021:
Harvest Hope Food Bank – In November, we collected monetary and non-perishable food donations for Harvest Hope, and the Share Your Holiday Food Drive. With the generosity of our members and staff, along with a corporate donation, we were proud to present a donation of $25,385 to Harvest Hope! Since 2002, we have been able to donate over $158,500 and over 45,000 pounds of food.
Breast Cancer Centers - In October, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we made donations of $10,000 on behalf of our members and staff to each of our local Breast Centers at Prisma Health and Lexington Medical Center.
Higher Education Scholarship Program - Palmetto Citizens is offering students an opportunity to apply for one of twenty $1,000 higher education scholarships. Applications will be accepted online through February 1, 2022.
COVID-19 Community Relief – With the outbreak of Coronavirus, many organizations are doing important work to assist and care for those impacted in our community. To further help our community during this difficult time, Palmetto Citizens has made additional donations to the following organizations to assist them and their COVID-19 relief efforts: Harvest Hope Food Bank, Prisma Health Midlands Foundation, Lexington Medical Center Foundation and United Way of Kershaw County.
Children's Hospital – Every year, we raise money for our local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, Prisma Health Children's Hospital - Midlands. In 2020, we were proud to be able to present a check for $36,160! Since beginning this annual fundraising effort in 2005, we've raised over $425,000!
Transitions Homeless Center - Each month, a group of Palmetto Citizens staff members volunteer, over the weekend, at Transitions to serve lunch to their residents. To learn how you can support this local homeless center, visit their website.
Free Document Shredding - We continue to help keep information out of the hands of identity thieves by hosting a series of no cost shredding days. Since 2008, we’ve helped consumers shred nearly 725 tons of personal information.
Financial Presentations & Materials - Palmetto Citizens is always happy to assist local schools, youth groups and other organizations by providing speakers and/or materials on a variety of financial topics. To request a speaker for your classroom or group, or for more information on other materials we can provide such as educational handouts, sample checkbooks, or online resources, please email our Community Relations Department or call (803) 376-5035.
Palmetto Citizens also supported a variety of other causes and events in our community through donations and staff volunteers, including:
- National Blood Donor Month with The Blood Connection/American Red Cross.
- Packing food for low income seniors with Harvest Hope.
- Building wheelchair ramps for mobility-impaired individuals in our community with EmmanuWheel.
- Riverside cleanup with Congaree RiverKeeper.
- Playground and property cleanup to reduce plant overgrowth and prepare for incoming families with Homeless No More.
- Organizing donated items from the clothing drive held at the Harriett Hancock Center.
- Purchasing and wrapping gifts, as well as stuffing stockings for the residents of Oliver Gospel Mission and Toby's Place.
- Presenting donations to Allen University toward the Waverly Hospital Restoration and Expansion Project, and Camp Cole, an accessible camp and retreat facility designed for those facing serious illnesses, or disabilities.
If you would like more information, or to support one of these worthy causes, please email our Community Relations Department or call (803) 376-5035.